VBS Blues Calendar – September 16, 2018
THE VICTORIA BLUES SOCIETY IS LOOKING FOR SUBMISSIONS FOR BEST SELF PRODUCED BLUES CD
The Blues Foundation is looking for high quality blues recordings from “up and coming” artists that might not otherwise reach the International Blues market. Blues societies who are Blues Foundation members are able to submit one entry to the Blues Foundation for consideration.
To this end, as a member of the Blues Foundation, the Victoria Blues Society is looking to submit a local CD for consideration as the Best Self Produced Blues CD. A panel of individuals will review all CD’s submitted and determine which CD we will submit for 2018. The criteria for selection will mirror the same criteria the Blues Foundation will use:
Judges will evaluate the following points. The following criteria are in order of importance.
(1) Blues Content (is this a Blues Music recording)
(2) Musical Performance (Musicianship)
(2) Audio Quality of the Presentation (Production Values, Levels)
(3) Cover Art and Design (Professional Packaging, Ready for the rack at your favorite music outlet?)
(4) Credits and Liner Information. (Informative, Professional)
Listed below are the rules provided by the Blues Foundation that we must adhere to. Please note we can only consider CD’s that were released during the period of November 1, 2017 and October 31, 2018.
Best Self-Produced Official Rules:
* Entries for the Best Self-Produced CD are permitted by affiliated blues societies only.
* Each affiliate is permitted one entry.
* The CD entered does not have to be performed by a band entered in the 2018 International Blues Challenge.
* Compilations are not eligible.
* The eligibility period is the same as for the Blues Music Awards-the CD must have been released during November 1, 2017 – October 31, 2018 time frame.
* A CD on a record label that has been previously nominated for a Blues Music Award (formerly the W.C. Handy Blues Award) shall not be eligible for this competition.
* Recordings with established or “known” producers within the industry are eligible as long as the recording is on the artist’s independent label and NOT on an established blues label.
* Singer, band, society or local producer may produce the actual CD as long as the performer is a singer, band or other individual entity.
The Victoria Blues Society is responsible for ensuring that their submission complies with these rules.
Additional Eligibility Criteria:
*The entry must be an individual, duo or band currently residing on Vancouver Island, British Columbia.
In order to be considered the applicant should include 5 copies of their CD and a letter explaining how the CD meets the eligibility criteria. Deadline: October 4, 2018. Entries must be received by this date. Late entries will not be considered. Mail to Victoria Blues Society Box 5157 Victoria BC V8R 6N4 or contact John Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for drop off.
Next VBS Show – October 5, 2018 with Jack Semple Band / Paul Black at the V-Lounge. Tickets $16 for VBS members or advanced on sale at Sunday Jam @ V-Lounge starting Sept 16 or at Lyle’s Records now. Non members $20 at door.
Sunday Blues Service Jam – @ V-Lounge in the Red Lion. 3:00-7:30 pm
The Loft – Thursday Night Jam 8-11 pm – all genres
Nanaimo Blues Society Sunday Jam – Queens Hotel 4-8 pm Various host bands.
Thur Sept 20
Victor Wells – Ross Bay
Fri Sept 21
Uncle Wiggly’s – Oak Bay Rec Centre
Sat Sept 22
David Gogo/Wishbone Ash – Mary Winspear
Bill Johnson Band – The Loft 8pm $10
Sun Sept 23
Harry Manx – Mary Winspear
Tues Sept 25
Jonny Lang/Mavis Staples – Royal Theatre
Sat Sept 29
Lazy & Slim – Ross Bay
Sat Oct 20
David Vest – Hermann’s
Thur Oct 25
SP & Johnny’s Rhumba Kings – Ross Bay
Sat Oct 27
Dave Harris – Christie’s
Bill Johnson/Uncle Wiggly’s – V-Lounge $20
The Blues Calendar newsletter is published and emailed on or about the 1st and 15th of the month. The online version is up-to-dated within 48 hours of news receipt.
If you would like to receive this calendar by email, please send your request to our Web Editor: email@example.com A membership is not required.
BLUES ARTISTS – Get your local gig in our website’s Blues Calendar by sending an email to our Web Editor: firstname.lastname@example.org